I. Around the World
Things I found on long walks in foreign cities, or perhaps when someone posted them on Twitter.
- Before You Know It Something’s Over — A beautiful essay on loss and identity
- Finding Your Father’s Ghost in an Old Video Game — A surprise (or two) when firing up a console from days of old.
- Where the Internet Goes to Be Lonely — An online social commentary of strangers reaching out into a void.
- A Super Mario Brothers-themed aquarium built with LEGO bricks — just as you’d expect.
- Roads of Zambia — “For people back home, it’s never something you had to care about before”
- Sidewalk chalk illustrations of Ann Arbor — Anonymous drawings on sidewalks, store stoops and other surfaces
II. On the Blog
A few posts you may have missed on the blog this week.
- The Cure for Writer’s Block — Someone gave me this advice long ago. If only I’d listened!
- Holding Pattern: Runway Art — I love this mashup of travel + Google Earth.
- WDS 2014 Attendee Reviews (Round I) — What are people really saying about WDS 2014? Find out here.
- 70,000 Point Bonus from Marriott — A limited-time offer of 20,000 additional Marriott points, enough to allow you to stay two free nights at a top resort worldwide.
III. A Blast from the Past
Something from the AONC archives.
- Homecoming and the Adventure Detox — When you went away weeks, months, or years ago, you were prepared for culture shock in your new surroundings. Coming home, the reverse culture shock hits you out of nowhere, which is all the more difficult…